World leaders react to New Zealand mosques' deadly mass shootings

The world's heads of state and government condemned
the terrorist attack that targeted two mosques in New Zealand's city of
Christchurch, leaving 49 people dead and scores others injured.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent a message
to New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, offering condolences over the
deadly terrorist attack in the city of Christchurch, where shooters targeted
worshipers at two mosques, the Kremlin press service said.
"It was brutal and cynical attack on civilians
who had gathered for prayers," TASS news agency reported, citing the
message.
"I expect that all those involved in this crime
will receive the punishment they deserve," Putin added.
Meanwhile, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan said
he was "shocked" by the attack.
"This reaffirms what we have always maintained:
That terrorism does not have a religion. Prayers go to the victims and their
families," he said on his official Twitter account.
The Indonesian foreign minister was quoted by media
as saying six Indonesians had been inside the mosque when the attack occurred,
with three managing to escape and three unaccounted for.
British Prime Minister Theresa May expressed her
grief after one or more white supremacists stormed mosques in New Zealand to
murder dozens of Muslims during Friday prayers, the Daily Mail reported.
The horrifying attacks in Christchurch have taken
the lives of 49 people causing grief and consternation across the world.
Theresa May led the messages of condolence from
Britain with the Queen expected to respond later.
Meanwhile, European Council President Donald Tusk
described the attack as 'harrowing news' and said New Zealand Prime Minister
Jacinda Ardern can 'count on our solidarity'.
He tweeted: 'Harrowing news from New Zealand
overnight.
British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: 'Our
hearts go out to the people of New Zealand following the news of this terrible
act in Christchurch.
'NZ is one of the most peaceful, peace-loving and
generous nations in the world.
'Your friends in the UK stand with you today in deepest
sympathy.'
Spanish Premier Pedro Sanchez said his thoughts were
with the victims, families and government of New Zealand after attacks by
"fanatics and extremists who want to destroy our societies"
Queen Elizabeth II said that she was "deeply
saddened" by the attacks on two mosques on Friday in New Zealand that
which left 49 persons dead, Sky News reported.
In a statement, Queen Elizabeth said "I have
been deeply saddened by the appalling events in Christchurch."
She added "Prince Philip and I send our
condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their
lives."
She went on to say "I also pay tribute to the
emergency services and volunteers who are providing support to those who have
been injured. At this tragic time, my thoughts and prayers are with all New
Zealanders.
French President Emmanuel Macron echoed German
Chancellor Angela Merkel's message, condemning an "odious attack" and
saying France "stands against any form of extremism", France 24
reported.
Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen also tweeted her
condolences.
Tsai said: "I'm utterly saddened by the mass
shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. My thoughts go to the victims and their
families."
Sweden's Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom has
tweeted that she was "shocked by the attack in Christchurch," saying
"we condemn terrorism in all forms."
Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen also
commented that "extremism has again shown its ugly face."
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker
denounced the "senseless act of brutality," Euronews reported Friday.
In a statement, Juncker said "I offer my
sincerest condolences to the loved ones of the victims and the community as a
whole. We wish strength and courage to the injured and their families."
President of the European Council Donald Tusk
commented the attacks, saying "Harrowing news from New Zealand overnight.
The brutal attack in Christchurch will never diminish the tolerance and decency
that New Zealand is famous for. Our thoughts in Europe are with the victims and
their families.
US President Donald Trump is expressing
"warmest sympathy and best wishes" to the people of New Zealand after
"the horrible massacre in the Mosques," ABC News reported.
Trump tweeted Friday as the White House issued a
statement condemning the attacks at two mosques in the city of Christchurch
that left at least 49 people dead.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders described
the attack as a "vicious act of hate." She says the US stands in
"solidarity" with the people of New Zealand.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has sent a telegram
to the prime minister of New Zealand, expressing her condolences after the
attack on two mosques in Christchurch.
"It is a perfidious attack on worshipers and
their houses of prayer," Merkel said Friday. "The attack on Muslim
citizens is also an attack on New Zealand's democracy and its open and tolerant
society. We share these values and thus also the horror of the New
Zealanders."
Merkel says she sends her condolences to the
relatives of the victims and is wishing the wounded speedy recoveries.